Author Topic: Gyno Sufferer for 4-5 years, what do I do?! 4MothsPostOpPics - Opinions? Pg.9!  (Read 36696 times)

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Another update. Recieved the letter from the doctors this morning, basically I had a choice of 3 hospitals to book an appointment at (I Guess this is the consultation?). Picked the one she reccomended, and funnily enough it was the shortest wait too.. Appointments booked for 8th October (okay still a wait longer than I wanted but none the less!) Anyone know if this is the consultation? It's at: Plastic Surgery-Breast & Chest Wall & Abdominal Reconstruction-Salisbury (Salisbury District Hospital).

So that's the next step I guess! Fingers crossed after that it'll be surgery time.

Thanks

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
Well it will be a consultation, but it is difficult to predict whether it will be 'the one' prior to actually going for surgery. In my experience, i had at least 4 or 5 of these 'consultations' which did nothing other than to confirm the condition and bounce me around. So i'd say not to keep your hopes up too high, but at the same time, you may get lucky!

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Guys, GREAT news!!!!

Went for my consultation today at 9am with Mr S S Masood. Arrived at the hospital, waited for them to call me, the nurse told me he'd be through in a moment - so sat in this room a bit anxious.. In came Mr Masood (the surgeon, result!) also with another man (not sure who he was or why he was there, was there for the duration of the consultation and said nothing, just stood there looking a bit out of place !) Anyway. Mr Masood took a look and asked me how it affects me, I was quite nervous etc so didn't go into any detail, literally said I'm very embarrassed off it and I live my life around it to a degree. He took some measurements and explained a few things / asked a few health questions..

Anyway, long story short - i'm having the operation! He explained what would happen and asked me if I'd also like aerola reduction (he said mine was about 4CM diameter, average for male is 2CM) I said althought this wasn't my main concern, I suppose I would be happy to have it as I imagine it'll give a better result.. He said for this they cut right around the aerola rather than just along the bottom half, I asked if this would be very noticable with the scarring and he said no it shouldn't - so sounds good right? Anyone had any experience with aerola reduction? He said for the gland they'd remove the gland itself and also do some liposuction. After telling him I wanted to go ahead with it etc he told me I'd be having the operation in 3-4 months, maybe sooner if there's a cancellation. Although i'd be happy to have it sooner, that's still a great result, was expecting to possibly be waiting a year or so! He took my chest measurement so that they could order the compression vest (so they supply that then, which is a +). Told me I'd spend probably 2 days in hospital for the operation, as I'd have a drain following it for any bleeding etc. So I went off and had my pictures taken by another lady and that was it - handed in a peice of paperwork to the reception and off I went! All in all consultation lasted probably 20 minutes - so first consultation, after 20 minutes and he's given me the go ahead for surgery - incredibly happy to say the least!

I asked him if he was part of the BAAPS and he said he was and that I could check online ( I already had prior to the consultation, just wanted to check it was him) so I guess that's a good sign as people seem to reccomend this. My *only* uncertainty right now is the aerola reduction, because they have to cut right around the nipple, I'm hoping this isn't go to leave a blatent scar as this would be a bit dissapointing - I appreciate he said it shouldn't it's just I havn't read mucha bout people having this done on here so any thoughts about this would be very much appreciated! So now I'm just waiting for them to send me a letter about when I need to go back for a check on blood pressure etc and then I believe after that it'll be the operation, hopefully they'll give me an actual date then - but he said 3-4 months at most it should be.

Summary: Spoke to decent doctor rather than the initial one, referred to surgeon (does private stuff but this is on NHS), first consultation lasting 20 minutes and given go ahead for surgery and should have operation within 4 months hopefully less. So very impressed so far with the NHS, don't give up hope if you havn't had any success, my advice is see MULTIPLE doctors at your surgery rather than just one. My first doctor was useless, said nothing could be done. The second doctor was very understanding and sympathetic, and thanks to her I'm now one big step closer to being free from this!

Thanks guys, any advice/input/questions welcome. :D

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
I'm glad your case has progressed so quickly! I hope the result is just as good. :)

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Thanks :) you know much about the areola reduction? I'm tempted to ask not to have it and just the gyno removal in hope they'll reduce anyway.. I mean when they're cold and wrinkled up I'm fine with that size, it's just when they puff out abit it looks bigish.

Offline kingboob

Hi, I just wanted to say well done on getting the surgery sorted via the NHS.

In regards to the areola reduction - it can leave visible scaring and can leave changes in pigmentation too (from the pictures I have seen anyway).  Also because they literally cut it off and re-attach it there is a chance for the nipple/areola to lose the blood supply and die/drop off.

It is something you should only get done if it really bothers you and I would check out before and after pictures of similar surgery first.

I'm not trying to be negative as I understand where you are coming from.  I had gyne surgery and although my areolas have shrunk a bit they are still about 5cm diameter (just checked lol!).  I still want mine reduced in size and my surgeon is willing to do this but has explained the risks.

Also I think if done badly it can be very obvious that one has had some kind of breast surgery - just because of the scaring pattern.

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Hi, I just wanted to say well done on getting the surgery sorted via the NHS.

In regards to the areola reduction - it can leave visible scaring and can leave changes in pigmentation too (from the pictures I have seen anyway).  Also because they literally cut it off and re-attach it there is a chance for the nipple/areola to lose the blood supply and die/drop off.

It is something you should only get done if it really bothers you and I would check out before and after pictures of similar surgery first.

I'm not trying to be negative as I understand where you are coming from.  I had gyne surgery and although my areolas have shrunk a bit they are still about 5cm diameter (just checked lol!).  I still want mine reduced in size and my surgeon is willing to do this but has explained the risks.

Also I think if done badly it can be very obvious that one has had some kind of breast surgery - just because of the scaring pattern.

Thanks! Yeah I mean they don't particually bother me it's the gyno I hate not really my nipple size, and as many people have said people often seen contraction through just surgery. What were yours like pre-surgery ? How did the wrinkled size compare to the regular size after surgery?

I'm worried as you've mentioned about the worser scarring / obvious scarring and having the whole nipple removed - I think it seems a bit extreme given that it's not even my main concern and the risks associated.. And I imagine it'll increase the recovery time required which is less than desirable. Very tempted to opt against this and just go with lypo/gland removal.

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
My advice can only be: if it doesn't bother you, don't get it done. It will only add an extra element of risk. Mine are 3cm and i'm fine with that. I suppose you could always get reduction privately later in life if you wanted? As kingboob said, perhaps ask the surgeon for before and after shots if he's performed this before.

Offline kingboob

Thanks! Yeah I mean they don't particually bother me it's the gyno I hate not really my nipple size, and as many people have said people often seen contraction through just surgery. What were yours like pre-surgery ? How did the wrinkled size compare to the regular size after surgery?

I'm worried as you've mentioned about the worser scarring / obvious scarring and having the whole nipple removed - I think it seems a bit extreme given that it's not even my main concern and the risks associated.. And I imagine it'll increase the recovery time required which is less than desirable. Very tempted to opt against this and just go with lypo/gland removal.

If it doesn't bother you then don't get it done...... even if the result is perfect you are always going to look at that scar and think ''wow, the size didn't bother me before and now I have a visible scar''.........  you can always get it done later on.   

Mine have shrunk a bit since having surgery but they are still abnormally large by anyones standard, which is why I want them done.   Apparently they can be done under local anesthetic............  which means if you did want them done at a later date and the NHS wouldn't do it, the private costs probably wouldn't be all that bad. (compared to the standard 4.5k for gyne surgery anyway).

areola reduction is a pretty extreme solution........ the only online pictures I can find of guys who have had it done are guys with very large gyne, and the scars are obvious, in some cases there even seems to be a loss of colour / pigment in the actual skin as well........... bear in mind that surgeons are going to publish their best case results as well:

http://www.locateadoc.com/pictures/eppley-barry-22113.html
http://www.locateadoc.com/pictures/offredericksburg-plasticsurgeryservices-17032.html
http://www.locateadoc.com/pictures/leedy-jason-12838.html
http://www.locateadoc.com/pictures/lynch-steven-8679.html

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Yeah i'm 95% sure I'm going to opt against that now because:

A) I think that's going to increase the amount of time it'll take to recover
B) Scar is much more likely to be noticable
C) It's not something I find a problem!

When and how do I tell this to the surgeon? I don't want it to delay the surgery, do you think I would be able to say on the day that i didn't want it and just the lypo and gynecomastia removal - otherwise what do I do? How do I go about contacting the surgeon? I believe I will be going back to the hospital for blood tests or something sometime in the near future ,but I can't imagine Mr Masood will be present at this..?

Thanks

Offline thetodd

Cant you just book another apointment? or get your GP to do it.  Just say you dont want it done because youve researched it and think the risks outweight the benefit. And no youl be at a different department for the bloods id imagine you need another apointment

Post some pics up of your gyne, ive never heard of a surgeon reccomending nipple reduction like that would be interesting to see how bad it is.
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
You should be able to pull up the details of his secretary from the internet or from the hospital's website. If you contact them, then they will pass the message onto the surgeon. It'd save the hassle of visiting in person just to say one thing.

Offline thetodd

You'd have to assume that the sectary will pass on the message, and that the surgeon will just accept that.  Assumption is the mother of all fu.ckups ;)

even if its over the phone, but make sure its to the surgeon! explain why you dont want the areola reduction. He should come up with a solution and youl come out feeling less worried about the surgery! Personally i would rather be face to face but im a bit of a worrier like that

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Okay i think I will try and phone up first, purely because consultation was in salisbury and was a long wait, so would rather not have to travel that way and wait that long again to just say something so simple.. So will see if I can arrange to speak to him on the phone first.

Any guides/advice on what to do in the run up to the surgery to guarantee the best recovery time/quality and minimize scarring?

Thanks

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Bit of an update. Letter came today saying I'm going back on the 6th of November for my Pre-op appointment (to check up on my general health, explain the procedure a bit more answer any questions I may have.) I think after this that'll be it and next stop will be surgery, hopefully they'll give me the surgery date on the 6th but wouldn't suprise if me they didn't. Anyone know?

I'm going to talk about the nipple reduction concern at this appointment too.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024