Author Topic: Can Androgel cure gynecomastia!  (Read 15420 times)

Offline mondingo101

• Posting Member
Hello there i had gyno from the age of 13, its was jus a puffy nipple type, and shrink when i got cold of took a shower! Im now 38 and about 2 years ago , i started developing female like breast, this never happen before, it was jus a puffy nipple! I made and appointment to have a gyno evaluation done! The secretary told me that there no need for a consultant, ill need to see a endocronologist first, as to figure out whats causing the problem, as it had jus started to develope lately! I went to a endronologist,He examine me, asked me a few question, and said thats its a hormone imbalance, too much estrogen! So he then order me some blood work!- which was very expensive -it was perform early in the morning before me eating anything! Test came back showing that i had low testerone , all the other hormone where in the right levels, including the estradiols! So u told me that he putting me on androgel , i must use the gel on my shoulder and chest area around the breast, to get rid of them! The androgel is very expensive , so i did some research on it, and found out that one of it,s major side effects is GYNECOMASTIA, So why in the world did he prescribe it for me , knowing that my main problem is the GYNO! Im about to have it filled- when i get the money-, but i would like for a doctor,gyno surgeon or anyone who have used Androgel to treat GYNO give me an insight !

Thank you

Offline puffman1

• Posting Member
There is no need to shout, sir. Haha jk. I can't help you.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Since you have low testosterone, it is unpredictable as to how it will affect your gynecomastia.  It may help other problems, such as testosterone replacement.  Your best option may be to continue with the testosterone therapy and have a gynecomastia correction procedure performed.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:42:04 PM by Dr. Cruise »
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

DrBermant

Hello there i had gyno from the age of 13, its was jus a puffy nipple type, and shrink when i got cold of took a shower! Im now 38 and about 2 years ago , i started developing female like breast, this never happen before, it was jus a puffy nipple! I made and appointment to have a gyno evaluation done! The secretary told me that there no need for a consultant, ill need to see a endocronologist first, as to figure out whats causing the problem, as it had jus started to develope lately! I went to a endronologist,He examine me, asked me a few question, and said thats its a hormone imbalance, too much estrogen! So he then order me some blood work!- which was very expensive -it was perform early in the morning before me eating anything! Test came back showing that i had low testerone , all the other hormone where in the right levels, including the estradiols! So u told me that he putting me on androgel , i must use the gel on my shoulder and chest area around the breast, to get rid of them! The androgel is very expensive , so i did some research on it, and found out that one of it,s major side effects is GYNECOMASTIA, So why in the world did he prescribe it for me , knowing that my main problem is the GYNO! Im about to have it filled- when i get the money-, but i would like for a doctor,gyno surgeon or anyone who have used Androgel to treat GYNO give me an insight !

Thank you

There are many Medical Conditions that can Cause Gynecomastia. Some of them have high levels of estrogen and low testosterone. Getting the testosterone level back to normal can be a major factor in restoring the hormone balance. Gland can swell under such hormonal stimulation. Remove that stimulation and gland can shrink. How much depends on many factors, but being patient is the first step. Once the tenderness has resolved and the gland has stabilized, then possible surgical options can be considered.

Too much testosterone can be converted to estrogen. That is why carefully monitoring testosterone levels is an essential part of refinement of this condition.

Read your instruction on the Androgel more carefully. It specifically says to avoid the breast region. Putting this hormone directly over the breast is a bad idea.

I have found that Body Shaping Compression Garments are a great temporary contouring option for those needing time to stabilize a problem, but are sick of living with the contours of gynecomastia.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline kingboob

I have no idea of androgel can cure gyne or not........... just wanted to say that there are cheaper alternatives to androgel, such as testosterone injections which do the same job for a fraction of the price.

Don't get androgel on your chest area whatever you do.

DrBermant

I have no idea of androgel can cure gyne or not........... just wanted to say that there are cheaper alternatives to androgel, such as testosterone injections which do the same job for a fraction of the price.

Injections are definitely cheaper, but the hormone levels much less physiologic with major peaks and troughs that can have many issues.  Most Endocrinologists I have worked with tell me their patients are much more comfortable and with a better life style with the topical medications.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline kingboob

Injections are definitely cheaper, but the hormone levels much less physiologic with major peaks and troughs that can have many issues.  Most Endocrinologists I have worked with tell me their patients are much more comfortable and with a better life style with the topical medications.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

That is true and I can confirm that from personal experience........  however if you are having to pay for your medication and cost is a major issue it would still be better to get injections vs no medication at all.

Also, I believe in America you guys have compounding pharmacies??   They can probably mix up a testosterone cream for a fraction of the price of the branded Androgel or Testim products.

Offline mondingo101

• Posting Member
Thanks alot for your input, dr. beaumont , im also using tamoxifen , which is suprressing the gyno from going further, but for some reason it makes my teeth hurt also, im been feeling pain in the shoulders, like artrithis! Are these side effects of the tamoxifen, teeth are very sensitive, and also throat becomes very dry especially at night , i also have to wake up several times maybe 3 to 4 times a night to urinate! I also was on arimidex, but this drug was very harsh on me, it made me feel tired drain and stiff , joint pain in the morning, and to me i saw no direct effect on the gyno , when i was taking it, so i switch to the nolvadex, and right away the very first day , i saw a result!  ive been on it for about 3months, and it works for suppressing the gyno, but not getting rid of it! However i never used the nolvadex brand, its was a generic brand im using, i was wondering if i would get better result with the nolvadex brand! Ive still not started using the androgel, i was wondering if i should start with the 2.5g or the 5 gram daily dose, as a first timer ,with my gyno condition, which dosage should i start at! Im afraid to cause the gyno to get worst!

DrBermant

Thanks alot for your input, dr. Bermant , im also using tamoxifen , which is suprressing the gyno from going further, but for some reason it makes my teeth hurt also, im been feeling pain in the shoulders, like artrithis! Are these side effects of the tamoxifen, teeth are very sensitive, and also throat becomes very dry especially at night , i also have to wake up several times maybe 3 to 4 times a night to urinate! I also was on arimidex, but this drug was very harsh on me, it made me feel tired drain and stiff , joint pain in the morning, and to me i saw no direct effect on the gyno , when i was taking it, so i switch to the nolvadex, and right away the very first day , i saw a result!  ive been on it for about 3months, and it works for suppressing the gyno, but not getting rid of it! However i never used the nolvadex brand, its was a generic brand im using, i was wondering if i would get better result with the nolvadex brand! Ive still not started using the androgel, i was wondering if i should start with the 2.5g or the 5 gram daily dose, as a first timer ,with my gyno condition, which dosage should i start at! Im afraid to cause the gyno to get worst!

I prefer to defer such issues to the prescribing Endocrinologist who should be much more familiar with the subtleties of these medications. Good patient education should be part of any medical treatment.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline mondingo101

• Posting Member
Hello again, i heard about the testerone injections begin cheaper, but the injection are more unstable and harder to monitor, however what about the testerone pellets! has anyone here use it or have any knowledge about it! Ive still not started the androgel as yet, im jus taking the nolvadex- tamoxifen, and its shrinking the gyno and keeping it in check! However seems like watever i eat affects the gyno , it happens right away its seems like the hormones are trying to balance or something! Sometimes through the day the nipple will get puffy then at other times they shrink down to normal! Also sometimes they pain me, i dont know what going on , but its rely a pain in the a.... !

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024