Author Topic: Gynecomatacia on skinny male  (Read 11571 times)

Offline theanony

Hi all I'm new to the forum here.

I'm an extremely skinny 20 year old male, 150lb and 6'0''. I believe I am developing the first stages of gynecomatacia, and I have had the problem for about a year now. I was a late bloomer with puberty (possibly still going through the final stages). One outspoken girl last year commented on my problem, and I have been embarrassed about it ever since. Puffy nipples describes my case the best. I've had social anxiety my entire life, terrible acne in middle/high school, and now this! Can't life just give me a break?!

Here are the pics. I took 2 sitting down to emphasize what is there, but the standing is probably closer to how it looks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Welcome to gynecomastia.org!  You will find sympathetic brethren on this site as well as expert advice from both patients and surgeons.

In sum, you seem to have gynecomastia and puffy nipples -- but of relatively recent onset.  With delayed puberty, and the possibility that your gyne is still evolving, would suggest you wait until things have settled down -- perhaps another year -- before contemplating any treatment.  For some guys, the gyne will diminish in size.  For others, it remains and would require surgery to effectively remove it.

In the meantime, you can wear a snug compression garment to provide a better shape for you and to help your self image.  As for the female comments, ignore them -- if you are a good guy, the gals will be attracted to you as a person.

And as for breaks in life -- be happy you have what you have -- one day it will be cured.  As a teen, many of life's bumps appear to be Mt Everests.  When you get older, you will appreciate how minor that bump really was.  Many other bumps in life are not curable -- that's when you really need a break.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline theanony

Would taking any medications help in the long run? I know that a few exist but I fear them as just being scams.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If your gyne is still evolving, it is possible that some hormonal intervention might be of help.  But this would have to be under the direct supervision of an endocrinologist.  That should be your first stop.

Please do not invest in special pills or treatments that are found on the internet -- they will quickly empty your wallet and produce no significant change in your chest.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
As I was reading your post, I was thinking of many wise things to say. I note that the good Doctor  has already covered things so well that the only thing i have left to say is: Welcome aboard, You are among friends here.
Grandpa Dan

Offline waves

• Silver Member
Welcome to gynecomastia.org!  You will find sympathetic brethren on this site as well as expert advice from both patients and surgeons.

In sum, you seem to have gynecomastia and puffy nipples -- but of relatively recent onset.  With delayed puberty, and the possibility that your gyne is still evolving, would suggest you wait until things have settled down -- perhaps another year -- before contemplating any treatment.  For some guys, the gyne will diminish in size.  For others, it remains and would require surgery to effectively remove it.

In the meantime, you can wear a snug compression garment to provide a better shape for you and to help your self image.  As for the female comments, ignore them -- if you are a good guy, the gals will be attracted to you as a person.

And as for breaks in life -- be happy you have what you have -- one day it will be cured.  As a teen, many of life's bumps appear to be Mt Everests.  When you get older, you will appreciate how minor that bump really was.  Many other bumps in life are not curable -- that's when you really need a break.

Dr Jacobs

It's posts like these that not only show how valuable it is to have surgeons participating in this forum, but how incredibly lucky we are to have great surgeons that are also empathetic to this condition.  Thank-you Dr. Jacobs, a great post! 

Offline theanony

If your gyne is still evolving, it is possible that some hormonal intervention might be of help.  But this would have to be under the direct supervision of an endocrinologist.  That should be your first stop.

Please do not invest in special pills or treatments that are found on the internet -- they will quickly empty your wallet and produce no significant change in your chest.

Dr Jacobs
I appreciate the responses.

One last question. Do hormonal medicines like Tamoxifen or Testosterone ever have any effect on the gynecomastia? Or are these the magic pills you speak of that I should avoid?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Those medications do affect your hormones -- and they might possibly be of some help to you.  That is why I suggested you visit an endocrinologist.

The scam meds that you are concerned about are meds/supplements that are, for the most part, advertised as a quick cure on the internet.  Stay away from those.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
One last question. Do hormonal medicines like Tamoxifen or Testosterone ever have any effect on the gynecomastia? Or are these the magic pills you speak of that I should avoid?

The medicines you mentioned truly ARE medicines that you have to have a prescription for.  The "magic pills" are the other things you see for sale that anyone can get over the counter, or the stuff you might see advertised on late night TV informercials.  Stay away from all those kinds of things, as well as scams on the internet.  They are totally worthless.

Yes, the medicines you mentioned can be beneficial in some cases, but you should ONLY use them when you they are being prescribed by your physician...who should be closely following your response to them.  These meds are powerful because they affect your hormones.  And like all meds, they are not without their side effects.  All of this should be discussed with your doctor prior to using them.

Tamoxifen is a drug that is usually given to women with breast cancer.  In men, Tamoxifen is usually used by endocrinologists in the early stages of gynecomastia.  It has been shown to be beneficial in stabilizing/reversing gyne, especially the pain and tenderness that often accompanies early gynecomastia.  Testosterone is typically only given when someone has a low T level, as measured by blood tests.  In high levels, it can even CAUSE gyne, but in some cases, low doses can be effective in helping to stabilize early gyne and the pain associated with it.  The only reason I know that is because this happened with me.  But T-gel is not for everyone and should only be used under a physician's supervision who can monitor your body's response to it.  Just as they can help, they can also mess you up if not used correctly, or if you use them when there is no medical need.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024