Author Topic: uneasy about tomorrow's surgery  (Read 1856 times)

Offline nyce

• Posting Member
I have surgery scheduled for early tomorrow morning and, as I expected, I have mixed feelings about it.  Mainly a bit of uncertainty and second guessing -- Am I making the right decision?  Would I see satisfactory results with a little weight loss and muscle training?  Then there is the simple anxiety of willingly entering into a surgical procedure, albeit one with a rather low risk of any serious complications.

I have been uncomfortable about my gynecomastia for years.  It's rather mild (I think) and I've managed to gain some level of comfort with it.  I face most of my discomfort when my shirt is off, constantly tugging at my nipples when others aren't looking, as erect they look far less boob-like.  I've had only 1 or 2 people ever use the term "moob" when referring to me.  Others may have thought it, but said nothing.  The rest of my body is reasonably shaped and shows pretty well in a fitted shirt, but there is some uneasiness regarding the puffiness around my nipples.  I tend to constantly stretch the shirt, tug at my nipples, or wear an unnatural looking compression garment.

Are these feelings normal?  I would guess they are and that most still go through with the surgery and are happy that they did.  At least that's what I'm expecting of my situation.  Any advice or comments on the topic would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
My advice to you is GET THE SURGERY!

Your level of anxiety may be mild but the surgery will remove it from your life forever. The surgery itself is a breeze. One minute you're being wheeled into the operating theatre, the next thing you know you're being woken up by a nurse. The only tough part is the 24hrs building up to it because you feel so freaking anxious. Don't worry that's normal and there's actually nothing to worry about. You probably won't be able to sleep very well the night before the surgery either. Also it's common to feel ill prior to surgery, which is apparently caused by your mind playing tricks on you due to stress; ie, you're not really ill.

Oh and yes, there is some pain about 24hrs after the surgery - and the compression garment is a pig! - but in 6 months from now you'll be gyne free. ;D

Then again, I would express the above opinion because I had a fairly bad case of gyne and it really bothered me.

Ultimately you have to decide what's more important: Having puffy nipples for the rest of you life, or taking a small risk with surgery.

Best of luck!

Offline nyce

• Posting Member
Thanks for the support.  I'll probably go back and forth through the rest of the day/night.  It's scheduled for 730 tomorrow morning  I'm pretty terrible at making decisions.  I'm sure when all turns out well and I'm gyne free I will look back on this decision favorably.

I'm thankful to not have had a serious case of gyne, but it's enough that I'm aware and insecure about it.  It will be nice when it's no longer even a consideration.  I've included the link to my pics.  Thanks again.

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=22999.0

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
I can only imagine how uneasy you feel.  I'm a month away and I keep going back and forth about it. 

My only suggestion to you is to just be carefree.  You don't want it anymore, you don't want to live with it anymore. Just go in there with that attitude.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Offline nyce

• Posting Member
Well, surgery's done.  I'm going to start a new thread soon w/ updates, etc.

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
You went through with it, that's great!

I saw that you just replied to one of my posts, so I thank you for that.  I'm sure you know exactly what i'm going through then.  I'm apprehensive and nervous about it. 

Anyhow, it's very reassuring to know that your surgery went well. Congrats again!

Offline nyce

• Posting Member
While I still have several weeks at least of recovery, it is gratifying knowing that my gynecomastia days are numbered.  I understand feeling uneasy.  It's a good feeling to be moving past it.

Offline waves

• Silver Member
Congrats nyce!  Welcome to the other side!!

Offline nyce

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024