Author Topic: How soon after surgery can you work-out again?  (Read 17970 times)

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
I'm 4 weeks post-op and I'm desperate to start working-out again because my muscles have pretty much disappeared. I want to start developing my shoulders and pecs but I'm worried that it might interfere with the healing process.

Any advice?

Offline nyce

• Posting Member
I think the general consensus is no strenuous activity at least 4-6 weeks post op, with the full healing process taking 3-6 months.  I imagine you'd probably want to consult your surgeon for advice on whether he/she feels you are ready to begin back with physical activity.  I feel you though.  The weather is finally warming up here in NYC, so staying idle is tough.

Offline Endless

• Silver Member
in my 1st surgery (Lipo) i was on the bike after 3 days. and running after 17 days.
after my 2nd sugery (gland incision) i was doing weights & cardio after 7 days.

In my case, my doc didn't say exercise was bad. He just said don't work out the chest

Offline waves

• Silver Member
I was told 3 weeks until I could start riding the motorbike again and playing sports (surgery was lipo and gland incision).  But at 3 weeks I was still somewhat stiff so waited until 4 weeks to ride the bike and about 6 weeks until hitting the gym and sports.  It doesn't take long to get back in shape though it's just the wait that is hard!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
My general recommendations are no strenuous exercise for four weeks after surgery -- and then a gradual return to exercise after that.  If you have been exercising prior to surgery, then you will re-gain your stamina and muscles within a short time after returning to the gym.

I think it is important to make several points.  After surgery, your body has been stressed.  It needs time to recover.  You don't want to place added stress on your body by exercising.  Also, and very important, any exercise will tend to elevate your blood pressure.  During surgery, any bleeding vessels are cauterized to stop the bleeding.  However, should there be a rise in blood pressure soon after surgery, it is possible for those vessels to re-open and then bleed under the skin, causing a hematoma.  I have seen this happen even a week or two after surgery.

I have no problems with my patients returning to sedentary activities/work very soon after their operation.  They can even take long walks -- s-l-o-w-l-y!

Obviously, every surgeon has his own regimen for post-op exercise -- this is mine.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline todd55

Doctor, how soon after surgery could someone return to work if there is a decent amount of manual labor (Lifting boxes around 40 lbs. and moving bottles of wine)?

I'm concerned that I wouldn't have enough vacation time and I don't want to tell them why I'm getting surgery.

Thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is a reason why strenuous activities are not advised after surgery -- especially exercise and lifting weights.  You are stressing areas of your body that have just had surgery -- thereby causing (at a minimum) more swelling and delayed healing.  At worst, you may open a blood vessel that was sealed during surgery and then fill up with blood.  We call this a delayed hematoma.

My best advice:  since this is elective surgery, find a way to put together sufficient time in order to be able to heal properly.  Absent that, then try to find some excuse why you can't lift boxes for a few weeks while you still are going to work.

My usual recommendation is four weeks off all strenuous exercise. Just think -- one month of "rest" in exchange for a great chest for a lifetime -- that's a good deal!

Dr Jacobs

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
Once again, thank you Dr Jacobs. I found your advice to be spot-on. It's not until the 4 week mark that you feel 'healed' enough in order to attempt lifting weights and such.

One caveat boys: I tried swinging my arms backwards, in a windmill style, in order to stretch before my first workout... OUCH, that hurt! It felt like all the tissues inside my chest got pulled apart. Other than that, moderate weightlifting was not a problem.

My usual recommendation is four weeks off all strenuous exercise. Just think -- one month of "rest" in exchange for a great chest for a lifetime -- that's a good deal!

Dr Jacobs

I took 2 weeks vacation from work and then 2 weeks 'sick'. I just used an excuse about falling off my bike and having a bruised chest. No harm in a white lie.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024