Author Topic: Do you have to wear compression garment?  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Ali19

• Silver Member
The thing is I'm going to Asia next month and I was thinking of getting the surgery before I left.

My home there has tons of people living in it, so it wouldn't be hard for someone to notice the garment and what not so i dont wanna wear it there or while im travelling.

do all patients HAVE to wear it for 2 weeks? (what's the point of it anyways?)

Offline hatemymoobs

• Silver Member
yes, you have to wear it.
when you take tissue out, or fat out it creates holes and or pockets where there once was tissue/fat. They will fill up with fluid and can cause bad scar tissue.
the compression keeps the fluids from building up and also helps with the scars healing.
i'm not a doctor, but this is from my research here and other places.

if you're going to do it, do it right. wear the compression vest...

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I tell all my patients that the results of the surgery, outside of the actual surgery itself, are directly related to the the post-op care rendered by the patient.  The patient does in fact play an active and essential role in his ultimate results.  Perhaps the important thing after surgery is to wear a snug compression garment.  This will minimize the need for drains (at least in my practice), it will minimize any bleeding/oozing (which always occurs after surgery), will minimize the swelling, will minimize the pain and will hasten the healing process.  In essence, the results of the surgery are directly affected by the patient's cooperation after surgery in following the surgeon's recommendations.

I usually recommend wearing the compression garment for at least four weeks after surgery -- other surgeons may have their own regimen.  Whatever, if you trust your surgeon to operate on you, you should trust his recommendations for post op care.

If you do not want to wear the compression garment during your trip, then it might be wise to postpone the surgery until afterwards so that you can wear the compression garment as directed.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Metalli

Is the garment visible through a t-shirt? And can you drink alcohol a week post surgery?

Offline jojo82

• Silver Member
Is the garment visible through a t-shirt? And can you drink alcohol a week post surgery?

If the t-shirt is tight fitting, then it is visible. A loose fitting t-shirt or undershirt+polo combo works well with it.

Offline Raboze

• Bronze Member

I'm at 3 days after surgery and it's impossible to put a t-shirt on, especially by myself.
I live with zip-up hoodies right now.

Offline Ali19

• Silver Member

I'm at 3 days after surgery and it's impossible to put a t-shirt on, especially by myself.
I live with zip-up hoodies right now.

lol the zip-up hoodies would definitely not work in asia.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024