Author Topic: New Diagnoses  (Read 1307 times)

Offline nanokenz

• Posting Member
Hi,  I'm a 27 year old male who has had breasts since I was a teenager and just never thought much about it. I just avoided taking my shirt off in public. However about 3 weeks ago I noticed a lump that was very tender in my left breast. I went to the doctor who referred me for a mammogram. I went in for the test today 5/3/12 and was told it was a benign growth and that I had gynecomastia. My doctor should be getting the results back tomorrow and will hopefully have me come back in for a follow up.  From what I've read it seems like surgery is the only way to take care of this issue. My only worry is will my insurance cover this because it is causing me pain (it is more painful than it was 3 weeks ago and even wearing a shirt can cause some discomfort) or will I have to pay for the surgery completely out of pocket? Is there anyone else who experienced pain with gynecomastia and had the surgery?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
outside of acceptance, yes, surgery is the only fix, since no amount of trying to fart around with hormones will reverse the tissue development (g___n, t___n, etc).  most insurance companies, foolishly, refuse to treat it since it saves them money if they call it cosmetic or elective, with no idea of its psychological impact.  on the pain, i am not a doctor, but it happens sometimes, and it seems like that could be related to the tissue distentions or something as it forms, maybe somebody else can speak to that part better.  welcome to the site. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline xelnaga13

Pain is the magic word that increases your chance of getting insurance to pay out.

Get blood work showing your hormones are stable
Get letter from primary stating you are in good health and not taking any medication that would cause your gyno
Get mammogram showing actual breast tissue rather than only fat
Get surgeon to write a letter concerning your pain and diagnosis; He will bundle all the above material and send it off to insurance for approval

Thats how I got mine covered.

Offline nanokenz

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies. I'm still waiting for my doctor to get the results so we can talk about treatment but you've made me very hopeful about the outcome.  Thanks again.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024