Author Topic: Consultation with Levick on 14/08/12 - Op carried out 23/08/12 - Recovery  (Read 9727 times)

Offline improving

• Silver Member
Great i'll add the the trouble passing urine to my worry list. Is this your body's reaction the the GA or something?

I'm booked with Levick in the next few weeks. Thanks for the write up. Glad it all went smoothly for you, best of luck with the healing, look forward to your updates.

Offline covfefe

• Posting Member
Yeah seems to be a common reaction, someone else on here mentioned it.

Bit more sore this evening, need to actually take the painkillers I suppose... bought Civilization 5 to help pass the time :)

Offline kingboob

Over all its really nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, the only bit that's bother me the most is the difficulty I've had passing urine, but apparently this is quite common and should pass (already seems to be easing). The aesthetic seems to have cause me to feel quite drowsy as well (still) but apparently this will pass as well.

Quite common I think, as long as you are actually managing to go there shouldn't be a problem.  Drink plenty of water...  Also, if you are having trouble getting started then I find turning a tap on helps get things flowing!

I physically could NOT *go* (despite feeling like I was gonna burst)  & ended up with a flipping catheter on two occasions... not fun.

Offline covfefe

• Posting Member
I can go, jus not with any sort of fluidity should we say, it takes a lot of effort to pass only a little water.
Oh well just got to hope it passes sooner rather than later  :-X

When did you regain the ability to pee Kingboob? My friend whose a GP suspects ins the opiates they give you that causes your bladder to become slightly paralysed.

Offline kingboob

I can go, jus not with any sort of fluidity should we say, it takes a lot of effort to pass only a little water.
Oh well just got to hope it passes sooner rather than later  :-X

When did you regain the ability to pee Kingboob? My friend whose a GP suspects ins the opiates they give you that causes your bladder to become slightly paralysed.
I mean both times I had serious issues they left the catheter in for 24hrs or so and when it came out everything was normal.

Other times I've had surgery I have felt a bit hesitant for maybe 24 to 36hrs or so after the surgery.  I guess it is the pain killers, but as long as you can actually go it shouldn't be an issue.........

If it doesn't clear up very quickly then obviously speak to a Dr about it.   

Offline covfefe

• Posting Member
Its eased up this morning thank god... think I was actually a bit dehydrated. Can't wait to get these bloody bandages off and see whats underneath. Its like seeing the presents under the Christmas tree when you're a kid, I bet this week will go so slow :(

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
I was aware that catheters may be used after GA, and it's quite easy to 'feel' like you're suffering from retention if you think about it too much. Basically I just drank a good couple of litres of water to make sure I was absolutely bursting.

Do you have to keep the bandages on for a week fackste? I also thought recovery would go slow but I've hit 2 weeks today and it's felt rapid.
My Trip Report (Preop & Postop pics).

Offline covfefe

• Posting Member
Apparently about a week yeah, I had a quick peak down the top of them today, I look flat but my right nipple looks a bit weird at present, hopefully that will sort itself out over time though.

Offline covfefe

• Posting Member
My right nipple looks like its a bit creased - should this sort itself out? Stressing :(

Offline improving

• Silver Member
Don't stress mate, your only 2 days post op. It'll take a while before things settle down. If I were you I wouldn't be worried in the slightest. I've been on this forum a while and i believe a little creasing is common.

Offline covfefe

• Posting Member
Cheers for the reply and for the support from everyone, it really is appreciated :)

Offline covfefe

• Posting Member
Quick update now 3 days post-op. Trying not to look down the top of the bandages as I know things will still change (hopefully) bit concerned about my right nipple not looking as it should, it looked a bit indented/creased, but it definitely looked better than having the Gyne.
Not much if any pain - not really taking the painkillers anymore. Have been really sleepy today but went for a walk earlier to at least try to remain active, will do the same tomorrow.
Have started getting pins and needles in my fingers at times which is also a bit disconcerting but hopefully this will pass as well.

Offline Ricardo7

• Silver Member
Hi fackste, I myself plan on booking my surgery with Levick. I have a couple of questions if that's ok?

When surgery is booked, does Levick give you all the info you need to prepare for the surgery and for the recovery, such as any medication/compression vest?

After surgery, how easy is it to manouvre with drains in, like if you need to go to the toilet or anything?

In your opinion, would I be ok to get a train back to Glasgow the day after surgery?

Good luck with the recovery mate and keep us posted :)

Offline covfefe

• Posting Member
Hi fackste, I myself plan on booking my surgery with Levick. I have a couple of questions if that's ok?

When surgery is booked, does Levick give you all the info you need to prepare for the surgery and for the recovery, such as any medication/compression vest?

After surgery, how easy is it to manouvre with drains in, like if you need to go to the toilet or anything?

In your opinion, would I be ok to get a train back to Glasgow the day after surgery?

Good luck with the recovery mate and keep us posted :)

All anti-biotics and pain killers are provided. You have to get your own compression garments (ordered mine from Macom). He will tell you and give you a booklet with what to do/eat beforehand.
Drains are fine to move with, you just have to take one in each hand but they put cable ties on the top to make hoops which you can use.

With regards to the train, you should be ok, but it'll depend how you react to the GA really, if you've had one before you'll probably know how you'll be after. This was my first GA, so had no idea how I'd react.

Any other questions feel free to ask, cant wait until Thursday to take the bandages off!

Offline Ricardo7

• Silver Member
Cheers fackste. I've never had GA before so have no idea how I'll react. I guess if I don't feel upto it I can find a hotel in Birmingham for the night (my return train ticket from Glasgow will allow me to return anytime upto a month)

I've already been in contact with Gail and she says she'll send me the information pack once I've booked as I plan on booking consultation and surgery on consecutive days. I don't have all the money together yet though so won't be booking for a couple of months yet.

All the best for Thursday - fingers crossed! Try and get some photos up if you can!

D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024