Author Topic: Gynecomastia surgery question  (Read 2504 times)

Offline djohnson

• Posting Member
6 weeks today, I got gynecomastia surgery. My gyne, was pubertal and it has been hunting me for 5 years, since I am 22 years old. The surgery performed was Lipo+ excision. Top of my head, I do not know how much glandular tissue was removed, but whatever the surgeon thought was best.

Before I ask my question, I want to thank all the surgeons/members who take the time out of there days, to answer questions folks like myself have. This condition can seriously effect your mental state, and you all help in any way you can.

Now my question:

Before the surgery my aerolas were shooting out like missiles. Now, they are only shooting out a little which I am fine with. My concern now is the size of my aerolas. I cannot wear a tshirt, without my puffy aerolas being noticeable. They still protrude through my shirt and it still depresses me. I know this question most likely has been asked before, though, I could not find it in the search tab. How long does it take for your aerolas to shrink after gyne surgery, if they do because I have not noticed a difference in 6 weeks. When do the aerolas and skin contract? Any help is appreciated. I know it is still very early (my chest is still sore) so I have not given up yet. I will try to get pictures up, when I get out of work.

Offline djohnson

• Posting Member
Furthermore, I will keep everyone posted, with how things are going.

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
It varies for everyone.  Depending on how fast your body heals and how the surgery went. I'm a year out and I still believe my results are getting better. It's probably because of diet and exercise though. Just try not to worry about it until at least six months and then talk with your surgeon about it.

Now my nipples aren't exactly flat. But that's fine. The goal in my opinion is to have a overall appearance of a man's chest. We might not end up with a totally flat chest but how many men have the perfect chest?

I would say at least six months and then reevaluate with your surgeon.

Offline djohnson

• Posting Member
thanks for response brother.

And yeah, I don't mind not having a flat chest, its just this puffiness protruding, is killing me. time will tell though

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Truth be told, I never terminate an operation unless the areolas lie flat and flush with the surrounding skin.  Anything less than that (ie any degree of raised areolas) means that there is still some tissue beneath the areolas and that it will probably remain as such.

My general rule:  if it doesn't look absolutely great on the OR table, then I continue to work until it does so.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline djohnson

• Posting Member
Truth be told, I never terminate an operation unless the areolas lie flat and flush with the surrounding skin.  Anything less than that (ie any degree of raised areolas) means that there is still some tissue beneath the areolas and that it will probably remain as such.

My general rule:  if it doesn't look absolutely great on the OR table, then I continue to work until it does so.

Dr Jacobs

thanks for response doc. Clearly it is way to early in ball game to start thinking about revision, but is a revision surgery simpler when it is just extra tissue underneath the areola. Meaning could it be done with local anesthesia.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024