Author Topic: Surgery Mr Levick (25/06/14) ONE YEAR UPDATE (including 'gym' pics)  (Read 33705 times)

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Been waiting to hear from you Achilles!

I've had the same problem, I went for my second drainage this Monday, he only got 5cc, but it feels like some fluid has came back, but I've kept compression! doesn't look bad and I know it will go I'm pretty confident. Yeah Mr Levick told me it must be a summer thing with the fluid coming back. He told me not to massage for 2weeks also.

Personally I think you'll have one more drainage and that will be it for you, I'm going to go out without the vest either tomorrow/friday, can't wait personally. This heats been horrible with this vest on, causing me too sweat a lot!

Good on you, hope it goes well tomorrow or Friday.

I dont think I'll be going back for a drainage, simply because even this time Mr Levick said I didnt really have to have it drained, the fluid would have gone away on its own. Since each time the fluid accumulation has been less, unless I get massive build up, I'll just bide my time.

Two weeks to stay of massage? I better delay massage till then as well.

Last couple of days in this crazy hot weather hasnt been easy with all these layers!

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
One month Post Op

So yesterday was one month from surgery. A frustrating month to be honest. I've probably only seen my new 'flat' chest for 2 or 3 days at most due to all the fluid build up. I've had to have my chest aspirated 3 times now, the last time being on the Tuesday just gone. Again there's been some fluid build up since, although each time it seems to decrease.

Whilst I'm grateful for all the after care from Mr Levick, I am now wondering now if something went wrong in the surgery with my right side. I've had 3 layers on tightly (gauze,vest,binder) round the clock for a full month and still the fluid builds up. I'm going to leave it for 2 weeks and see whether it disappears on its own now as Mr Levick suggested it would.

I'm also ditching the binder. It always rides down and I've just had enough of wearing so many layers. I'm just going to stick to the vest and some gauze on my right side. Ramadan finishes tomorrow and I'm going back to the gym. Not going to work my chest or shoulders (which can also strain the chest), but just some light work for my biceps, triceps, forearms and traps.

Anyway here are some pictures. You can see in the first one the slight fluid build up since the 3rd drainage:

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
First Gym Session (1 month 2 days after surgery)

So I went to the gym today and did some light exercises. I significantly reduced the weight/resistance that I normally use, and completely avoided any chest exercises or even compound movements such as squats, deadlifts. I dont want to do anything that could possibly exacerbate my chest area and possibly cause fluid to return.

No problem with any of the following exercises:

* Tricep cable pushdowns
* Tricep palms up cable pulldown
* Bicep cable curls
* Hammer Curls
* Forearm wrist curls/reverse wrist curls .

* Barbell shrugs - in the the third set, I realised this exercise was causing more movement in the chest area than I had anticipated. So I've decided to leave any shrugs for now.

I'll see how my chest/body responds to the light workout mentioned above. But it certainly felt good to be back in the gym today, after lounging around in bed for most of the last month or so.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Second Gym Session (1month 4 days after surgery)

So yesterday was my second session. I didnt suffer any adverse effects from two days ago so I was a lot more confident this time around, although still kept the workout light. I did feel a light sensation when doing shrugs, but it was probably nothing. Same workout as two days ago pretty much, just under an hour.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Five Weeks Post Op

So today is exactly 5 weeks that I had my surgery.

I know in my last (non-gym) update, I was a little negative, due to all the fluid build up. But I think for anyone going through this journey, perspective is key. I'm a million times better than pre-surgery and also a million times better than the massive fluid build up in my first week, where I infact looked bigger than pre-surgery!

The good news is, that although after 3 aspirations, there seems to be a very minimal build up of fluid on my right hand side (fluid build up on left side has stopped), even the right hand side has seemed to reach a plateau.

As of today I'm just wearing the compression vest under my t-shirt. No more binder (which I ditched a few days ago) or gauze from now on. I'll wear the vest 24/7 for another week and assess it from there.

Also feels really good that I've gone back to the gym. Mobility is near enough 100% at present.

Some pics from this morning below. You can see some slight perkiness on the right hand side due to small amount of fluid/dense bruising. If its still there by 8 weeks I'll get back in touch with Mr Levick:

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Jack, (ex)Gyne1987 - how are you guys doing? They say people disappear from this forum when they are happy with their results. Since havent heard from you guys in a while I hope thats a good sign that you guys are recovering well!

Although I've put in my phone calender to update this thread at the 3/6/12 month mark as hopefully it will help other readers.

How was Friday night Jack? I'm going to go out this Friday with no vest or anything under my t-shirt, really looking forward to it.

Offline JackY16

• Posting Member
Hey Achilles!

Yeah sorry I haven't kept upto date, been reading the forums but haven't updated! Anyway, yeah I went out Friday with just my tshirt on, it was an amazing feeling , I was still checking my chest when walking past a window or a car window haha which i need to get out of that habit! Anyway it was like my friends was hoping I still had boobs but they didn't notice anything tbh! I also went to a party Saturday aswell which was a really amazing feeling being able to go out in summer and feel comfortable in front of girls with just a tshirt on, it does make a huge difference! I consumed stupid amounts of alcohol aswell lol! Just can't wait for the swelling in my upper chest to go and see how flat it really is then, although my left nipple is still abit puffy, I know that will settle with time (hopefully) cause similar happened with donut and 3/4 months down the line his settled. So all should be well.

Anyway, glad your fluid has eventually started to settle and go away, your recent photos are looking so much better than your previous ones. I can't wait for you to go out with a compression garmet on because I know the feeling you actually feel like your body can breathe!  This healing process is so much of a mental challenge, it takes so much patience etc, i really did think it was gonna be easier than it is tbh but it hasn't been. I'm pretty much on here everyday, 6 months down the line I will make a thread because I can't thank these forums as much, they've helped me so much, it's wicked to have someone like you keeping an update on things cause it makes me feel better cause we're kind of at the same pace with fluid problems etc!

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Hey Achilles!

Yeah sorry I haven't kept upto date, been reading the forums but haven't updated! Anyway, yeah I went out Friday with just my tshirt on, it was an amazing feeling , I was still checking my chest when walking past a window or a car window haha which i need to get out of that habit! Anyway it was like my friends was hoping I still had boobs but they didn't notice anything tbh! I also went to a party Saturday aswell which was a really amazing feeling being able to go out in summer and feel comfortable in front of girls with just a tshirt on, it does make a huge difference! I consumed stupid amounts of alcohol aswell lol! Just can't wait for the swelling in my upper chest to go and see how flat it really is then, although my left nipple is still abit puffy, I know that will settle with time (hopefully) cause similar happened with donut and 3/4 months down the line his settled. So all should be well.

Anyway, glad your fluid has eventually started to settle and go away, your recent photos are looking so much better than your previous ones. I can't wait for you to go out with a compression garmet on because I know the feeling you actually feel like your body can breathe!  This healing process is so much of a mental challenge, it takes so much patience etc, i really did think it was gonna be easier than it is tbh but it hasn't been. I'm pretty much on here everyday, 6 months down the line I will make a thread because I can't thank these forums as much, they've helped me so much, it's wicked to have someone like you keeping an update on things cause it makes me feel better cause we're kind of at the same pace with fluid problems etc!

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself! Well deserved after being 'strapped in' for so long. Do your friends know you've had surgery? Most people dont know much about gynaecomastia, gland, fat etc. If they see you've suddenly gone 'flat' they will most likely think you've just lost weight. It's not the same as a girl who suddenly has massive breasts and everyone suspects implants!

When you say your left nipple is 'puffy' is it hard and lumpy? Because that's what's happening with my right side (where I had most of the fluid accumulation).

My fluid has all gone, it's just the lumpy parts I'm now noticing. Until now I've been more preoccupied with the fluid build up to notice the bruising/lumpy parts. On my left side the hard/lumpy parts are near the armpit where the incision took place, I'm not too fussed about that. But on my right side, the lumpy part is right where my right nipple is so I still kind of look as though I have some kind of gyne on the right side with a t-shirt on. This Tuesday will be two weeks since my last aspiration so hopefully I'll start massaging and maybe that will help. If I still look perky at the 8 week mark I'll contact Mr Levick.

You're absolutely right Jake, it is a mental journey as much as a physical one! But I think we've all put up with years of mental angst about our gyne so we'll get through. Yeah it's definitely helped that me you and ex-Gyne 1987 had surgery at the same time. Hope he's well too, am guessing his recovery is going well.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
6 Weeks Post Op

So it's 6 weeks today. As of couple of days ago I'm only wearing the vest at night. Going gym regularly, although still not doing any chest exercises, compounds, or overhead exercises. Even side lateral raises with light dumbbells was bringing a slight tightness to the deltopectoral area.

Fluid is all gone. However, there is lumpy/scar tissue. Left side isnt so bad but on the right side this is concentrated under the nipple so it still looks as though I have gynaecomastia. It's a little less prominent first thing in the morning as the vest presumably compresses it all night. I'm going to wait until perhaps the 8 or even 12 week mark and if it's still there I might contact Mr Levick, he mentioned he sometimes does a steroid injection to break up the scar tissue.

I've also started massaging as of yesterday. Not sure what exact routine/duration/technique I should be doing so just doing it randomly when I remember. Hoping it might help dissipate some of this scar tissue.

Offline JackY16

• Posting Member
Hey Achilles! Not really mate, no one has noticed I've had surgery because my chest isn't completely flat to a point where it's completely noticeable! & yeah my left nipple where my fluid accumulated is still abit puffy, it's definitely scar tissue under there, maybe this will break up further down the line, been massaging with circular motions for a couple of minutes but have forgot quite a few days tbh but no worries!

Returned back to work today after having 6 weeks off, because my job involved a lot of heavy duty work I decided to have a lot of time off, and gladly so I was right taking 6weeks off because of fluid problems etc! 
How are you now anyway? Have you finally took the vest off and gone outside with just a tshirt? It's kinda weird how me and you have got the same problem with this scar tissue, wonder if anyone else has had this problem and it's gone away? Anyway I have been reading the forums just haven't had the time to post. Your doing a good job keeping people posted it helps me because we're on the same level, and yes wonder how ex gyne1987 is doing? And did mr L say he can break the scar tissue up behind the nipple? I'm gonna give it abOut 2 weeks to see if there's any change, I'm past the 6week mark which means I can technically sleep without th vest on but I don't think that is possible, having to keep compression on my left nipple anyway!

Keep us posted Achilles:)

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Hey Achilles! Not really mate, no one has noticed I've had surgery because my chest isn't completely flat to a point where it's completely noticeable! & yeah my left nipple where my fluid accumulated is still abit puffy, it's definitely scar tissue under there, maybe this will break up further down the line, been massaging with circular motions for a couple of minutes but have forgot quite a few days tbh but no worries!

Returned back to work today after having 6 weeks off, because my job involved a lot of heavy duty work I decided to have a lot of time off, and gladly so I was right taking 6weeks off because of fluid problems etc!  
How are you now anyway? Have you finally took the vest off and gone outside with just a tshirt? It's kinda weird how me and you have got the same problem with this scar tissue, wonder if anyone else has had this problem and it's gone away? Anyway I have been reading the forums just haven't had the time to post. Your doing a good job keeping people posted it helps me because we're on the same level, and yes wonder how ex gyne1987 is doing? And did mr L say he can break the scar tissue up behind the nipple? I'm gonna give it abOut 2 weeks to see if there's any change, I'm past the 6week mark which means I can technically sleep without th vest on but I don't think that is possible, having to keep compression on my left nipple anyway!

Keep us posted Achilles:)

Hey man good to hear from you. Good call re taking time off work, especially if you do heavy lifting. Any problems since you've returned?

Yeah I'm massaging daily at the moment. 20 minutes in total. 10 minutes each side of the chest, 5 mins clockwise, 5 mins anticlockwise. I usually do it whilst watching TV or something, I just put a timer on my phone so I remember to switch sides. Mr Levick didnt really give me clear instructions on massage, but I read on another website that post surgery massage should be 30 minutes a day minimum. Seems a bit much to me, so I'm just doing 20mins a day.

I've been out without a vest. My right side still looks very perky because the scar tissue is right under the nipple so still feels a bit crap/embarrassing. Yeah Mr Levick mentioned a couple of times that if scar tissue is stubborn he can do a steroid injection which can help break up the scar tissue. At what point in time this is considered I'm not sure. I think I read a post by Dr Jacobs somewhere on this forum, he normally offers it at the 4 month mark.

Yeah I'm still sleeping with the vest on. Completely forgot I can do without it now but I still feel I need it, especially with my right side. When I wake up and take the vest off my chest is relatively flat, but by midday and definitely by the end of the day I've got egg shaped scar tissue behind the right nipple. Not very nice. I guess something similar to what you have, but on your left side by the sounds of it. But hey I guess we all knew recovery would be a long term process. At least this way we know it's not gland or fat behind there, but scar tissue which should eventually disappear (I sincerely hope).

Offline JackY16

• Posting Member
Yeah dude, it's kind of weird because my nipple tingles when I stretch my chest etc, just guess it takes time to get used to In the long time! & yeah fair enough, my Levick told me it was just like brushing your teeth when doing it, couple of minutes, couple of times a day! Told me to do circular motions with the palm of your hand! And to stretch your chest after doing so aswell!

I'm sure the scar tissue will go, reading donuts post his problems kind of cleared them self out during the 3-4 month mark and plus he's still recovering now. It seems my right nipple is constantly erect now which is kind of crap because they are quite a big erect but that's just the feelings coming back anyway, hope they still carry on shrinking to be honest& yeah same here after I've slept with my vest on, soon as I take it off my left side looks completely normal, then later on in the day It kinda sags down! I've started doing exercise like going on bike rides and having long walks, I know I should be doing it lightly which I kind of am! It seems my left side is flatter than my right side in terms of shape, but I still believe that is either swelling or scar tissue, so just staying positive atm! Although I am really happy about just going out in shirts and my chest still maybe noticeable through shirts or jumpers, I'm just trying to change my mentality because I've realised nothing is ever going to be perfect and eventually it just eats you away just want to hit the gym tbh or start football again! Haha do you know when the maximum time is to actually start doing full exercise Achilles?

Offline FlatAsAPancake

• Bronze Member
Hi guys,

With everything you've gone through and still going through, do you have any regrets about who done your surgery or not?

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Yeah dude, it's kind of weird because my nipple tingles when I stretch my chest etc, just guess it takes time to get used to In the long time! & yeah fair enough, my Levick told me it was just like brushing your teeth when doing it, couple of minutes, couple of times a day! Told me to do circular motions with the palm of your hand! And to stretch your chest after doing so aswell!

I'm sure the scar tissue will go, reading donuts post his problems kind of cleared them self out during the 3-4 month mark and plus he's still recovering now. It seems my right nipple is constantly erect now which is kind of crap because they are quite a big erect but that's just the feelings coming back anyway, hope they still carry on shrinking to be honest& yeah same here after I've slept with my vest on, soon as I take it off my left side looks completely normal, then later on in the day It kinda sags down! I've started doing exercise like going on bike rides and having long walks, I know I should be doing it lightly which I kind of am! It seems my left side is flatter than my right side in terms of shape, but I still believe that is either swelling or scar tissue, so just staying positive atm! Although I am really happy about just going out in shirts and my chest still maybe noticeable through shirts or jumpers, I'm just trying to change my mentality because I've realised nothing is ever going to be perfect and eventually it just eats you away just want to hit the gym tbh or start football again! Haha do you know when the maximum time is to actually start doing full exercise Achilles?

Thanks for passing on Mr Levick's massage tips. Sorry to hear about your nipples. I used to have big nipples before surgery, but they've shrunk completely since surgery thankfully.

Re exercises - yesterday was the first time I added chest exercises to my gym routine. I did some light bench presses and some light dumbbell flyes. Felt ok, had a slight 'pulsation' sensation in the left side of chest just after doing flyes but I guess it was nothing disappeared pretty quick.

There's an article somewhere on this website by Dr Dr. Silverman (the big guy on the right hand side of this screen) and how and when to get back into exercise/gym work. I'd paste the link but its not allowed, am sure you can find it. Generally from all that I've read from 6 weeks onwards you can do pretty much full training but also to always listen to your body.

Because of all my fluid build up I'm still not intending to do any compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, heavy bench press) until maybe the 2 month mark. Chin ups might have to come even after that as I can tell there is still a very minimal tightness in the deltopectoral region.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Hi guys,

With everything you've gone through and still going through, do you have any regrets about who done your surgery or not?

Not really. Unless there's some talented and experienced surgeon that no-ones heard off, Mr Levick and Dr. Karidis are really the two main options in the UK.

At the first consultation, Mr Levick gives you a handbook. In it, it explains for the scar tissue to disappear completely it can take months. And reading around the internet, the fluid build up myself and Jake have experienced is relatively common after gynecomastia surgery.

Also, all the post-op complications are dealt with free by Mr Levick.

Remember, me and Jack are only 6-7 weeks into recovery, realistically of a recovery period that could last upto a year and at times I guess we're just venting our frustrations because we kind of hoped or wished for a completely flat chest immediately after surgery. I'm guessing if you check back in 6 months we will be much happier with our results.

Also, Dr. Karidis and most surgeons operate by cuts around the nipple, which I dont think I would have been happy with at all.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024