Author Topic: Bruises still there 6 weeks after surgery???  (Read 1579 times)

Offline kg062007

• Posting Member
Almost 6 weeks ago I had revision surgery, and im very happy with the results. Thee was no bruising immediately after the surgery, but about 5 days later some bruises showed up inn the area around the outside of my chest. Its been almost 6 weeks and those bruises still haven't gone away. Last time I had surgery, the bruises faded away in about 2 weeks.  What is going on?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Chances are that you developed a pocket of blood.  The blood can clot, and after a few days your body starts to break it down.  Some of the liquified blood oozes into the skin and a bruise is visible.  The breakdown and resolution of blood like this can take awhile.
If you are concerned, certainly talk to your surgeon about it.
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline kg062007

• Posting Member
My revision surgery only  consisted of liposuction of the chest, I think the bruises have gotten lighter, but I'm not sure. Could this possibly be hemosiderin staining or hyper pigmentation caused by the lipo?

Offline kg062007

• Posting Member
SO its been a while, and I have found out that my bruises arent bruises, but  either hemosiderin staining or hyper-pigmentation.  Is there any way to tell the 2 apart?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Hyperpigmentation is due to increased melanin pigment in skin cells, usually a response to sun exposure. Certain skin conditions like melasma can cause widespread hyperpigmentation.  Hemosiderin is iron pigment deposited in the skin as a breakdown product of red blood cells, usually from a hematoma or severe bruising.  This isn't related to sun exposure.  Given that you had a good bit of bleeding after your surgery, you are most likely looking at staining from the iron pigment.  It may or may not resolve over time.
Dr. Pope, MD

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024