Author Topic: Surgery yesterday- still feel gland  (Read 2379 times)

Offline imtakinemout

• Posting Member
I finally got the surgery yesterday by one of the top gyno surgeons in the country. After excision and lipo, chest looks much flatter, no doubt, but I still feel a half or a third of that "donut" at the top of the areola on each side. None is palpated at the bottom and no gland on the sides. I know that surgeons often leave some gland behind to avoid a crater deformity. I wonder what the surgeons think about that? Is that location common for leaving gland behind?
Thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I think you are the poster boy for the word "impatient."

One day after surgery and you are already feeling your chest and wondering about what was done!  Why not relax and give yourself 4-6 months to heal -- and then ask questions about the results?

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline imtakinemout

• Posting Member
I think you are the poster boy for the word "impatient."

One day after surgery and you are already feeling your chest and wondering about what was done!  Why not relax and give yourself 4-6 months to heal -- and then ask questions about the results?

Dr Jacobs

You still haven't answered my question, Dr. Jacobs. I'm asking this from a technical perspective. Is this something that you do in your surgeries... leaving part of the gland at the top of the NAC?

Offline Geoff88

• Posting Member
What Dr Jacobs is clearly saying is that it is day one, there's lots of swelling and you simply can't assess any results - at all.

Stop feeling your chest, wrap it up in bandages, keep the pressure on and follow your doc's advice and use this time to heal.  In a few months you can start to draw some better conclusions, not on day one ;)

I'd like to know how come you don't have bandages on anyway!  You really need to be wearing them and a compression vest etc

Offline imtakinemout

• Posting Member
I just took a quick "peek" while adjusting the compression garment. I have it on since the surgery.

Offline res.Cogitans

• Bronze Member
And i thought i was impatient - after two weeks later i posted here - :D

Its tooooo early, you will feel swollen/hard skin/bruishes for many weeks-months. So, its too early to tell you what is this you are feeling because you have a very recently trauma in your body.. 
Some doctors yes leave gland, some other not- Of course it cant be 100% removed eitherway.
That you are touching, believe me even a doctor dont know what is - after day one of surgery- :D

Offline imtakinemout

• Posting Member
Well, I took off the compression bandage after 4 days (I will invest in a compression vest). My left areola is astoundingly flat, but my right is a little puffy and there is a firm lump beneath it (extends beyond the areola margins). Both sides equally and appropriately tender (has been getting better since surgery). I was wondering if that lump is a gland left over, but it is too big to have been left over like that, given the experienced surgeon I saw. I doubt he'd do something like that, so I am thinking it may be some fluid accumulation that will eventually resolves. I noticed this is a common occurrence in people who has had surgery from my searches. So, I will wait and see and pray this goes away! Thanks!

Offline imtakinemout

• Posting Member
Any recommendation on a compression vest by the way? My doctor, though, one of the top in the country, did not feel I need any more compression, but I see a lot of surgeons recommend it.

Offline Geoff88

• Posting Member
My belief is that compression is extremely important, and vests need to be pretty tight to do what they need to.  If you don't have nurses or a Centre to help you get a really good fit - please read my post here:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=32360.0

Offline Ilya

Do you feel any pain when touching this area?
Sometimes In the first few days after gynecomastia operation a large bruise or swelling can develop under the skin. This is called a haematoma or a seroma depending on what fluid it contains. This usually happens on only one side, tends to be in one local area, can feel quite hard and is often painful to touch. Sometimes the fluid needs removing, and sometimes this becomes an emergency. The fluid may be taken out either by sucking it out with a syringe or by re-opening the scar with a second operation.
If you really feel discomfort better ask your doctor who done a surgery.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024