Author Topic: Question regarding my Gynecomastia  (Read 1174 times)

Offline lykanu

• Posting Member
Hello,
I am 21 years old, male.
I have been "suffering" from gynecomastia for around 2.5 years now. I've had my first Ultrasound two years ago (2014.12) and I've had 35x8 mm glandular tissue on left breast area, 16x5 mm glandular tissue on right breast area. I've then been to a mamologist (breast onco-doctor), which advised to just to be calm and recheck in 2 years with another test, and also advised me that surgery is for cosmetic purposes - there's no need for it if I feel ok.
So yesterday (2017-07) I've had my second Ultrasound and now left breast area has 26x6 mm glandular tissue, right side - 14x5 mm. Lymphnodes were structural and not enlarged both tests.

I'm going to see a mamologist again soon for advice on how to proceed. But I thought I'd get a second opinion:

Appearance wise I have no complaints, I have an athletic body and only thing that can be mildly noticed is that left nipple is a bit puffy.

Symptom wise I only seldom feel some tenderness on one or both breasts, but that can be ruled out as psychosomatic pain as I'm often thinking about it. 

I have generalized anxiety disorder so I'm very anxious about this being a "severe health issue" relating to cancer etc.

1) What do you guys think, do I HAVE to get the surgery? I'd like to do it only if it's really necessary.
2) As I'm 21, can these still go away on their own? I've only recently started growing a consistant beard, that needs shaving so I'm a bit late on my pubescence.
3) Can this have impact on my well-being? Turn into cancer?

Thank you all for reading. Hope you can help me to calm myself. :)

Offline nonini

• Silver Member
Your doctor is right,  for the vast majority of us this is a cosmetic issue. 
Sounds like you are happy with your body and you are doing the right things in terms of getting checked, I would not have surgery unless you are unhappy with the look. 

Offline lykanu

• Posting Member
Hey nonini, thank you for your reply.
Quick update:
I'm going to see a mamologist-oncosurgeon (I'm not sure if this is right, literally translating from lithuanian) in 2 days.
I'm very worried though, since I've started touching and examining my nipples alot to kind of calm/reassure myself in some way I've noticed a small gland lump (smaller than a pea, picture attached) appear today. It's slightly painful to touch, I'm very worried now.
Please help me calm myself down if you can guys. Attaching some pictures of my overall gyno situation and the lump - do I need surgery based on the first post? What is this lump? I did an echoscopy 5 days ago and the radiologist came with the conclusion of the glandular tissue and both sided gyno (precise gland measurements in first post).
Thank you all who are reading, any reply is very welcome, I'm extremely health anxious and this is a really big nervewreck for me right now...

Offline nonini

• Silver Member
Im not a doctor but at your age it is highly unlikely that that is cancer probably a cyst, listen to your doctors. 
From the pics you have what people on here would call puffy nipples which is just a little gland tissue, you dont need surgery if the look doesnt bother you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are in great shape and have mild puffy nipples, which are totally benign.  They probably will not disappear by themselves -- it you want an absolutely flat chest, you would need surgery.  On the other hand, if it doesn't bother you, then leave them alone.

Puffy nipples (or larger gynecomastia) does not lead to cancer -- so calm down.  And the small nodule you have circled is totally normal -- it is called a Montgomery's Gland -- and it occurs in both men and women.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024