Author Topic: Cpl of questions.  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Macco

• Posting Member
Hello everyone. Happy Easter. New member here and thx for including me. My gyna came on over the last cpl of yrs, probably from being on the Lupron drug for about 2.5 yrs for prostate cancer. I’m about to turn 69, divorced and relatively active. I didn’t really mind it at first but the growth has now gotten to a point that I’m both uncomfortable and embarrassed. I have a constant soreness. Not knowing what to think when the growth and discomfort began, I even got checked for breast cancer, etc. The diagnosis was gynacomastia. I can’t seem to get a handle on whether or not this condition is going to reverse. Some of my research suggests it will but most does not. I’m at a crossroad now, trying to decide what I should do, if anything. There’s one side of me that accepts it and says suck it up buttercup and just move on with life. There’s another side that doesn’t like it at all and wants it reversed. Obviously, it would be good to rid myself of the pain/discomfort. A garment of some sort would not interest me. If I decide to take action, I have a cpl of questions:
1.     Will coolsculpting work?
2.     Will liposuction work?
3.     Can I expect medicare to cover it, focusing on the pain and discomfort?
4.     When I read about surgical options, other than the aforementioned, is it basically a mastectomy procedure that’s being mentioned?
Thx for listening and I look forward to your input.

hammer

Sorry to inform you that as a guy breast reduction will not be covered by any insurance! My primary care doc once offered to make an argument for me at the VA to get it done there being that I was so large (H cup size) but I declined being that I would have turned out looking worse after the surgery with all the scares, and I was getting very close to 60 and really didn't care anyway!

There are a few of us seniors here that have accepted and I have seen a few that have come through over the years that have had surgery and that will cost you in the neighborhood of 3 to 6 grand depending on how bad you are, and cool sculpting would not work most likely unless it is just fat! If you have breast tissue growth you would need that removed, and are your age you most likely have some.

Sorry to give you nothing but bad news, but welcome to the forum!

Bob

Offline Macco

• Posting Member
Thx for the response, Bob. I guess I'm not surprised to hear the answers you offer. I probably don't want to shell out $3-6K for the procedure, unless it was necessary. Other than the soreness discomfort, I suppose I can put up with it. The prostate cancer and related treatment has left me with no desire to be dating or looking for a new lady friend anyway. And my cat doesn't seem to give a shit. :)

hammer

I lost my testicles after I got a vasectomy. I already had fathered 5 by then, 2 by my 2nd wife and that was all we planned! She was wonderful through the entire problem  that I went through and all the pain, I was just in my early 30's then! Long story short, it was a blessing because it was a way to discover it I had untreated diabetes for years that had been masked by a blood disorder! It probably gave me a lot more years added to my life!

Now 60 I can say,
I had gynecomastia as a kid, put 11 years in the service, owned my own business, kids, grandkids, still happily married for over 30 years and my 2 cats don't give a darn either! It's only a problem if you make it a problem! I now require a 46H bra to support these big things, however, I'm not one to always wear one even though I was told to by my doctor.

Offline Macco

• Posting Member
Bob, I'm awfully sorry you went through all of that. That being said, your attitude is impressive and, as they say, that's half the battle. I wish you well and continued good health. I will continue to keep my chin up and appreciate each new day. 

Offline bennett11

• Posting Member
When I was 75 I waa diagnosed with prostate ca.  Part of the my treatment was to take Lupron 30 mg every 4 months for two years.  Basically this causes a chemical castration -  perhaps reversible -  but not at our ages.  Yes since then I have developed gyne and l learned to live with it - about C cup now.  Only adjustment I have made is I don't wear only T-shirts out now.  I am now 86.

hammer

Bob, I'm awfully sorry you went through all of that. That being said, your attitude is impressive and, as they say, that's half the battle. I wish you well and continued good health. I will continue to keep my chin up and appreciate each new day.

Thanks Macco, I hope that you can accept This!
I wish you all the best, stick around, we have some great guys here all here for the same reason!

Offline Macco

• Posting Member
Bennett11, thx for the note. I wish you the best. I'm not sure what cup size I am but I'm sure I have a strong stage 3 gyna. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Several years ago, I had a patient with your identical history.  The pain he had was due to growth of breast tissue -- and it did not abate.

We spoke about surgery and relief of pain and possibility of recurrence -- and he did go through with the surgery.  To date -- several years later -- he is just fine and has had no recurrence.

And BTW, lipo alone won't work (you are dealing with solid breast tissue) and Coolsculpting definitely won't work.

The extent of any surgery would depend on the physical examination.

Doubt if Medicare would cover it unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Macco

• Posting Member
Dr. Elliot Jacobs, thx for the input. Once I drop about 30 lbs., if these puppies don't lessen themselves, I may have to reconsider and have them worked on. I suppose it all depends upon how they/I look once the other weight is gone. Certainly, my hope is that they will reduce in size, along with the rest of the weight loss. However, according to what I'm learning here, I'm thinking such wished may be in vain. 

Offline MammaryMan

• Bronze Member
I'm an older guy, fit and slim, but with huge ones caused by years of androgen deprivation treatment for prostate cancer. They don't go down when you quit the meds. I had radiation treatment for the cancer and am probably OK now, but the glands are swollen and hurt.
I understand that plastic surgeons are medical "artists" so when they operate on a breast they want to minimize scars and make everything look natural. In my case, I just want these babies gone, scars and sculpturing be damned. I would be happy with what a general surgeon would do in the case of a mastectomy. Has anyone had this done or thought this way? It seems to me like this would be the simple approach if your main goal was just to flatten things out and remove the pain and swelling.

Offline Macco

• Posting Member
MammaryMan, we're both in the same boat. I am sorry to hear of yet another case where they don't go away once the meds are vacated. I wish you good luck with this. I would be very interested to hear how it works out for you. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024