Author Topic: Gynecomastya surgery technique  (Read 2289 times)

Offline royorbison

• Posting Member
I suffer from gynecomastia since 10 years ago, from steroid usage, now its becoming apparent out of my chest, but I have followed all process from virtually no gland before the steroid use, to gland spread in all of my left chest as it is right now.

Thats the thing I want to discuss, when I thought about surgery I was thinking in getting rid from all of the gland growth, but instead the technique only takes a little bit out, under you nipple and may use a cannula to suck out some fat on the side, but I have some tubes of gland on the side I doubt would go away without cutting.

So my question is:

Why is the surgery`s technique so poor, why cant we cut all the gland together and return to what it was before? I mean, by touching my chest I can feel what should and shouldnt be there. Is a cut in the armpit and beneath the aureola not enough to cut everything and push out of the chest?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have operated on many body builders who have taken steroids -- with resultant very enlarged breasts.  These are among my most challenging cases.  The tissue is extremely dense, without the usual fingers of fat in-between fingers of breast tissue.  Liposuction is used but is only slightly helpful.  Most of the surgery requires direct, piece by piece gland excision through an incision around the edge of the areola.  Drains are used routinely.

Attention has to be directed to both breasts.  If there is any excess tissue on the other side, it should be removed as well in order to get as much symmetry as possible.  It is virtually impossible to operate on one side and have it match the un-operated other side.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline royorbison

• Posting Member
I have operated on many body builders who have taken steroids -- with resultant very enlarged breasts.  These are among my most challenging cases.  The tissue is extremely dense, without the usual fingers of fat in-between fingers of breast tissue.  Liposuction is used but is only slightly helpful.  Most of the surgery requires direct, piece by piece gland excision through an incision around the edge of the areola.  Drains are used routinely.

Attention has to be directed to both breasts.  If there is any excess tissue on the other side, it should be removed as well in order to get as much symmetry as possible.  It is virtually impossible to operate on one side and have it match the un-operated other side.

Dr Jacobs

Thanks for taking the time to answer Dr. Jacobs. My case is not one of the worsts I believe, but the left chest has some gland on it, my genetics makes it hard to appear outside, I guess. 

Is it possible to grow gland tissue just on the sides without the lump beneath the areola?

My left chest was sensitive in the process and has a lump under the areola with some tiny tubes spreading aroud the chest, .  My right chest doesnt have the lump in the areola and didnt became sensitive in the process, but it has grown a little on the sides, its commom for gland to grow just on the sides or its just fat tissue?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unfortunately I cannot answer your question.  You have apparently had several operations and I don't know what was done, how much (and what type of) tissue was removed and where it was removed from.

Having had other operations, all bets are off.

Dr Jacobs

Offline royorbison

• Posting Member
Unfortunately I cannot answer your question.  You have apparently had several operations and I don't know what was done, how much (and what type of) tissue was removed and where it was removed from.

Having had other operations, all bets are off.

Dr Jacobs

Actually I have never had an operation, its another user that had 3 operations. Most of the time my gland is not even very noticeable, because of my genetics, cause the left chest has several amount of gland inside.

My left chest has gland on it no doubt, it was sensitive in the process and has a large lump beneath the areola, I want to know its possible the right chest to have gland on it, even if it had not became sensitive in the process(like the other chest) and doesnt have the lump beneath the areola, just an increase of fat(?) around, but not beneath the areola. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sorry about my misunderstanding about prior surgery.

As for location of tissue, anything is possible -- can't really offer an opinion without a physical exam.
Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024