Author Topic: It's time to get this sorted out.  (Read 1836 times)

Offline reingold

I'm 29, 6' 1" tall, and last time I checked, I was obese - it wasn't long ago but I don't have scales handy so can't weigh myself at the moment.

I have gynecomastia, and I'm fairly certain that it's pseudo and related to my weight.  My older brother, in the army and very physically fit, had surgery to remove puffiness in his nipples a few years ago but in terms of physical appearance, we couldn't be any less alike.

My breasts are somewhere between a B and C cup, and usually protude out further than my belly.  I'm told that I don't "look" obese - overweight, yes, but not as big as most obese men I've seen online and on TV, and certainly not morbidly or super obese.

A year ago I joined the gym and focused mainly on cardio, but due to saving for my wedding and then losing work, I have had to cancel due to lack of money.  The cardio did make me feel a little fitter but I didn't take regular measurements so I'm not sure how effective it was.  I didn't notice any difference in my chest.

For my whole adolescent and adult life, my problem has been that of self-confidence for what I would consider obvious reasons.  I have never been able to wear T-shirts, and finding shirts that fit me perfectly has never been possible, as my waist and belly is one size (usually L to XL) but my chest is XXL+.  I used to love to swim, but I can't swim anymore due to embarrassment of being topless.  I want to be able to run, but I can't because I bounce.  The best I can do is cycle, but can't afford a bike (but obviously getting a bike is much cheaper than surgery, so this will be my next step).

I have yet to see a doctor, and in fact haven't seen a doctor since I was 13.  I don't seem to have any other medical problems, and don't take any medication.

I would absolutely love to get surgery, and believe this would be the solution to my problems and a starting point to being able to wear gymwear and get the motivation to lose weight.  But, from my experience reading online, most surgeons would have hesitation operating on someone in my state, and £100 consultation from one surgeon is a lot to spend just to be told that I have to lose weight first. (I understand the surgery is much more expensive)

I would like to purchase a compression vest of some variation that would make me feel less curvy, so that I could wear more suitable clothes and be able to run, but most of the vests I've seen online seem to be for people with a much lower chest size than me.  If I was a girl, I would be wearing a sports bra, but I absolutely refuse to acknowledge this by actually wearing one, as this would cause what's left of my self-confidence to vanish completely.

I was hoping someone in here can give some advice on compression vests, or what I should do next.  If I have a diet, I'm sure I can stick to it, but I need to feel like I'm heading somewhere, and just dieting doesn't give me that impression and I revert back to eating whatever.

DrBermant

I'm 29, 6' 1" tall, and last time I checked, I was obese - it wasn't long ago but I don't have scales handy so can't weigh myself at the moment.

I have gynecomastia, and I'm fairly certain that it's pseudo and related to my weight.  My older brother, in the army and very physically fit, had surgery to remove puffiness in his nipples a few years ago but in terms of physical appearance, we couldn't be any less alike.

My breasts are somewhere between a B and C cup, and usually protude out further than my belly.  I'm told that I don't "look" obese - overweight, yes, but not as big as most obese men I've seen online and on TV, and certainly not morbidly or super obese.

A year ago I joined the gym and focused mainly on cardio, but due to saving for my wedding and then losing work, I have had to cancel due to lack of money.  The cardio did make me feel a little fitter but I didn't take regular measurements so I'm not sure how effective it was.  I didn't notice any difference in my chest.

For my whole adolescent and adult life, my problem has been that of self-confidence for what I would consider obvious reasons.  I have never been able to wear T-shirts, and finding shirts that fit me perfectly has never been possible, as my waist and belly is one size (usually L to XL) but my chest is XXL+.  I used to love to swim, but I can't swim anymore due to embarrassment of being topless.  I want to be able to run, but I can't because I bounce.  The best I can do is cycle, but can't afford a bike (but obviously getting a bike is much cheaper than surgery, so this will be my next step).

I have yet to see a doctor, and in fact haven't seen a doctor since I was 13.  I don't seem to have any other medical problems, and don't take any medication.

I would absolutely love to get surgery, and believe this would be the solution to my problems and a starting point to being able to wear gymwear and get the motivation to lose weight.  But, from my experience reading online, most surgeons would have hesitation operating on someone in my state, and £100 consultation from one surgeon is a lot to spend just to be told that I have to lose weight first. (I understand the surgery is much more expensive)

Weight loss before surgery is typically better than weight loss after. Here is a more complete discussion:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20362.msg139129#msg139129

For the individual advocating surgery to jump start the process, critically look for before and after pictures. Plastic Surgery is not a replacement for global fat contour problems. Breasts may be made smaller, but they still look like breasts and often disproportionate to the remaining fat contour issues. Men tend to put fat first on the belly and chest, and we take it off those regions last. Do the jump start surgery, then lose weight, and if it comes off in the typical fashion, it will look again like gynecomastia. Loose skin issues also complicate matters when major weight loss is a factor.

Even more expensive is surgery followed by weight loss followed by revision surgery!

I would like to purchase a compression vest of some variation that would make me feel less curvy, so that I could wear more suitable clothes and be able to run, but most of the vests I've seen online seem to be for people with a much lower chest size than me.  If I was a girl, I would be wearing a sports bra, but I absolutely refuse to acknowledge this by actually wearing one, as this would cause what's left of my self-confidence to vanish completely.

I was hoping someone in here can give some advice on compression vests, or what I should do next.  If I have a diet, I'm sure I can stick to it, but I need to feel like I'm heading somewhere, and just dieting doesn't give me that impression and I revert back to eating whatever.

Years ago I developed a demonstration of the body shaping garments with different types of weight problems with pictures showing the problem and how well the garment contoured. There are also videos showing how the tissues bounce:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18919.msg131399;topicseen#msg131399

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024