Author Topic: Does surgery result in permanent removal?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline mixer

I have gyno from using propecia, though had puffy nipples before that. I now have noticeable moobs which I got after quitting propecia then putting on weight. The weight has mostly gone but a couple of years on the moobs remain.

I want to get surgery. Problem is I have long term low testosterone sides having used propecia and there doesn't seem to be any useful treatment. Therefore, if I do get the surgery will the breast development return again meaning I have wasted my time and money? I can avoid weight gain again with a rigorous diet but my testosterone will likely still be low.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Wish it were possible to provide you with an iron-clad guarantee, but that is clearly impossible.

There is a very wide range of "normal" levels of testosterone -- and many men have T in the low-normal range and are perfectly fine.  T supplementation should be done under the close supervision of an endocrinologist, with close monitoring of all hormones, including estrogen.  Any sign of elevation in estrogen should be addressed by your endocrinologist.

As for Propecia, not all men have gyne as a side effect.  If you are one of the "lucky" few, then stopping Propecia is your first step.  Oftentimes, the tissue that grew in response to Propecia will, unfortunately, remain and would require surgery for its complete removal.

For my patients, once they have stopped Propecia and assuming their endocrine status is stable, the chances of gyne returning after surgery are very small.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024